.......................................................................

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Face It

Let's face it, our complexion is a key factor to our daily self-rated hauteness scale. I know I stand a little taller when my face is glowing and clear.

My Routine
Over the years I've adjusted my skincare regimen to try several different products and routines to perfect my skin. It's been a challenge, lots of trial and error, and the steps I've found I HAVE to use (morning and night) to keep my skin as close to blemish-free as possible are:
  1. an exfoliating face wash
  2. astringent
  3. acne cream
  4. moisturizer
In the past couple of years I have also noticed that my eyes are beginning to look more tired and lined. To combat this I've added an eye cream to my routine. So basically, I'm a walking beauty consultant's dream. Here are the products I'm currently using-in order, and a few recommendations.

The Products
I have large pores, so I have to use an exfoliating scrub to make sure there's no dirt or grime left behind to cause blemishes. I use Clean and Clear Daily Pore Scrub, and I have for years. The scrubbies in it are fine enough to get a good clean and not feel like sandpaper.

I recently went to a Mary Kay party, so I stocked up on the Blemish Control Toner ($13) and Acne Treatment Gel ($7). They are working fine, but I'm not sure that they work better than the regular or store-brand ones I have tried in the past. The creme has also bleached some of my pillowcases.

I'm using a blemish-fighting face lotion similar to this Aveeno (~$15), but it is CVS brand.

My eye creme is also from Mary Kay. I am a little disappointed in this Soothing Eye Gel. I wanted it to have more umph. I want to FEEL it working and tightening underneath my eyes. I've tried the Arbonne version before, and much prefer it. It has the UMPH I'm looking for; you can feel it working. A bottle is $55 for the Advanced Corrective Eye Creme, but they have a Hydrating Eye Creme for $30 also.
New Addition
This week I bought the Clean and Clear Morning Burst Surge ($15) to try out. It comes with removable cleansing scrubbing pads and buzzes away to exfoliate your skin. It is waterproof, so you can use it in the shower or rinse it off without worry. Verdict: I like it! My skin feels softer, so I think I'll start using it in the morning before the blemish toner and use the pore scrubber at night.
Chime In
What's your routine? What's your CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT skincare product?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man one of the hardest things to figure out EVER - how to make your skin the healthiest and look its best. I've tried a lot of different products and regimens, but after a conversation with the woman at a Whole Foods makeup counter and after lots of fights with blemishes, I've gone minimalist!
    I use Pronexin exfoliating face wash (http://www.pronexin.com/) at night and in the mornings - it's an all natural acne fighting wash that you get online. In the mornings after I wash my face I spray on a toner - right now using Thayers (http://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Alcohol-free-Original-Witch-Formula/dp/B000S823S6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1298509839&sr=1-6), which keeps my face from drying out especially if I'm going to put on makeup. If I'm extra dry-skinned at the time and want a moisturizer, I use a little bit of Dr. Douillard's LifeSpa Body Butter facial moisturizer (http://www.lifespa.com/product.aspx?prod_id=103) OR Dr. Hauschka's normalizing day oil. Amazingly, using just these products and making sure I don't wash my face more than twice a day (I used to do at least 3x) have done wonders for my skin. So much better now than it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much use a make up remover cloth at night, and Noxema in the shower in the morning. Oil of Olay lotion with Spf in the morning. Pretty minimalist.

    ReplyDelete