.......................................................................

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Good Run and a Great Love

Kevin and I have this running joke. He might say something I disagree with or something outrageous for a laugh, and sometimes I'll spout back, "Well, we had a good run. I'm going to have to break up with you now." It was always funny because there has never been a remote hint of an end in sight.

So when we ended up having a serious conversation on Sunday night about the future and decided we wanted different things it came to a complete shock to both of us when we decided to call it quits.

And we did have a great run. I haven't loved or been loved more than I have in the past year and a half. I've been lucky to have lived and loved big with a great guy who I'm glad I can still call my best friend - at least for the moment.

He wasn't my first love, but he was my first GREAT love. I hope people are allowed more than one great loves in their lifetime, because I have so much more love left to give.

In the end, I love how it started, I love how we loved, and I am thankful that if it had to, I can say I love how it ended. With a man I still love, still being able to make me laugh, smile at me and hug me.

And so I say, harboring no regrets, that these words ring true for me.

"I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Thanks for a good run, my love.

6 comments:

  1. So heartbreaking and so beautiful at the same time. That's why they call us writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - i love how i am now "error" - it's Angie Degelman...doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say except you are allowed more than one great love....but I pray this is just a bump in the road and will work out. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are allowed more than one great love. Remember: NO RULES, right? I, too, hope that you can work it out, but both of you must follow your hearts. Just be sure you are following YOUR hearts and not others' expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't ever forget YOUR AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete